Sunday, July 3, 2011

Belief lost!

 I ran 30 miles non stop




When I tell people this, they drop their jaws. I can see why.

I was an ultrarunner. I was 16 years old at the time. I weighed 183 lbs and dropped to 157 lbs in just two months from all the running I was doing. I would run on average 11 miles a day. On Saturdays I would have my long runs which would vary from 14-19 miles.  I had a secret to accomplish all this ;)

My secret?


                   I RAN AT NIGHT


While everyone was asleep or getting drunk out there mind, I was running through the streets. The earliest I started to run was 10PM. I would get back home around 1AM. 
                                                                                                                 I loved it!
My drunk neighbors are witnesses. They would have a blast when I was running down the block. 


                         "kid wha you doin?! Running!! HAHAHA you crazy! It's FCKING two in the mornin' "

I would just smile at them. They made me laugh a bit, they thought I was laughing with them. I wasn't.


That was my prime!

My passion for it was on fire. I loved it so much that I did it every night. Just because I loved it.

                                                   PLAGUE


After two months I was plagued with several stupid injuries.  It took the fire out of my passion. I gained weight. I became normal. This sudden hatred grew inside of me. A hatred to myself. 99.9% of people in society want to fit in.          
                                         I DO NOT


My mind does not allow me to be comfortable knowing I fit in. Since those injuries I have been trying to make a come back. Ohhhh dear God! It is harder than you think. I wanted to run and do what I love but my body wouldn't allow me. I would tear this, pull that, strain this. There was no fun in this.



I gave up




At this moment my throat is in a knot. I was an amazing runner. I was an amazing athlete. I can't believe I gave up. Tears are rolling down my cheek............

I can't believe I gave up


Last year (2010) I weighed in about 195 lbs
I ran a 22 minute 5K race (that is slow)
I looked like porky (that's all folks)


I gave up on believing


Now that I am coming BACK I am having a problem. I can not find to believe in myself like I used to. I know I am pretty fast because of my race results but I still can not believe in myself. I train everyday and I feel like I haven't done enough and I get in bed unsatisfied. My friends tell me to have more confidence and they tell me how it is amazing how much I train. As much as I wish their words would help, it doesn't. This is something inside me.

Let us start the week fresh. Let us train to melt our fears away. Let is run to believe. Let us workout to define strong. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, just some words of wisdom. I don't know you, but reading your blog seems like you're into the triathlon world.. Keep following your dreams! I know a lot of people who tried to do what you are doing right now and they eventually gave up because it was tough. Tough training. Tough racing. Tough life. Be proud with what you're doing because not a lot of people can do it. I have done a couple of races so I know how much time training you have to put in to be decently good. Reading your other posts and seeing your times is pretty impressive! I was inspired to go out and run when I could of been home with my family drinking a few beers and eating as much as I wanted. I believed that I could go run my 13 mile run, and I would be able to do it and believe in myself because I chose to do what I love. I smile when I pass "porky" people during my run because I am a triathlete - I love swimming, riding my bike, and running. I'm sure you do too. Thats why we chose the multisport life not the porky life. In all honesty, if you ran 30 miles before (which I think is amazing because I can only run 26.2) that's great. An awesome memory to keep in mind every time you run. I know injuries can be a pain but it happens. When they do, all you have to say is "Ok, right hamstring pulled because I played some football when I should of been training, stupid idea I know but you know what I'm going to get this hammy stronger and even if I can't run 30 miles again I'll just do an Ironman" (Which I see that you're doing the NY Ironman, congrats!) What I'm trying to say is, you believed in yourself then because you weren't a normal kid, you loved what you did, so you ran every night. If being a triathlete and training more than a person should isn't normal then damn man!!!! Your friends are correct - you should have more confidence because what triathletes do isn't easy and not just every one can do it.. And yea its amazing how much you train because they can't and are way to lazy to do it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say forget the confidence because that's the last thing you should worry about.. You need to focus on being the best you can be. Feeling like you cracked out of a shell and you're a whole new person. Being sooo determined that when someone brings you down and says "YO you can't" just tell them to race you on a bike and then we'll see who is saying "you can't" in the end. You have to love your life. Love waking up in the morning and going for a swim, then a bike ride.. and wait till its gets dark out to help you be more motivated about your run and to help you believe. You won't believe if you sit home all day or be at the beach instead of training. Also you have to STRIVE for your goals. Want to do the NYIM under a certain time? So do it, go train your a** off till you feel like you got it in your hands!!! And if you want to run 30 miles again just because you want to brag? Go ahead!!! You have to run 26.2 on race day so you might as well just run another 30 while training! If you go to bed unsatisfied and like you barely trained then add more miles in for that run or mix it up from trails to hills to road, or go to a lake and swim as much miles as you want and then go grab your bike and ride till the end of the day. Once you get home eat a little then workout your abs and your legs and your upper body for tomorrow's hardcore training. If you do more training, I can guarantee you that you will be satisfied. The hard part is training that much every day and resting properly. One last thing, LOVE what you do every single day. Be HAPPY. Be PROUD. You WILL BELIEVE. Start now......"Hello, My name is Roberto Escobar and when I was younger I was a crazy, not normal runner kid.. I ran 11 miles a day and once I did 30 miles.. Then I got a stupid injury and that is all in my past.. now I am stronger, and getting stronger every day because I have an Ironman coming up and I'm going to do so well that I will blow your mind..Being a triathlete and and training so much can be amazing to you but its a painful struggle for me and I fight through the lactic acid build when I swim.bike.and run. You might think I'm crazy but I love what I do every single. And I believe in myself. BELIEVE!"

    Good luck on your Ironman! Train hard. Be happy. And believe. You got this!!!!
    Best regards Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike so far I haven't recieved one comment, or maybe just 1 on my prior post. First of all I want to thank you for reading this and secondly, man you know how to write lol. I usually have errors everywhere. Lastly Thank you for your comment. who would have known it was going to take 1 comment from mike to make me believe. Hope your training hard and doing what you love. I'm believing thanks to Mike. Now im going to head off and swim at the beach and get a nice run. Love every minute of it :)

    ReplyDelete